Subscribe to RSS feeds

Monday, September 6, 2010

Good Movies

It's a three day weekend, and I've been spending it wrapped in a blanket watching movie after movie. I absolutely love movies, whether at the theater or at home, so having a roommate who is studying to become a screenwriter has been awesome. I watched about seven movies yesterday, some of them good, some less than good. But regardless, I loved it. :)

The best was probably "America's Sweethearts." It's a movie about a movie star couple (kind of a fictional Brangelina) who had a nasty breakup, but they still have to do the premier of their last movie, filmed while they were still an item. Basically, Katherine Zeta Jones is a wench, and John Cusack ends up with Jones' sister, the charming and sweet Julia Roberts. It was a fun and clever movie, playing with the cheesiness and ridiculousness of Hollywood.



My film-major roommate put on "Brokeback Mountain" as well, looking for symbolism in the story as his textbook had hinted there was. Honestly, from a gay perspective, I didn't really love the movie. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't amazing either. I felt like it was very much from a straight perspective. The romance was only believable at a couple different points in the movie. And the two acted too straight. I realize that they were living in a very rough and homophobic world, but while they may have been cowboys they could have brought a more emotional side to the characters. Even the manliest gay guy is more sensitive than the average straight guy. So all in all, it was an okay movie, but not one that I need to see again.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off, but if you have any suggestions of some really good movies, let me know!

1 comments:

El Genio said...

In no particular order:

500 Days of Summer
Adam
Milk
The Dish
Pedro
Dave
Slumdog Millionaire

Post a Comment